Make an ebook of that

The news that draw my attention this time is about a special book. I is something like an art book for chiefs. You can find it here.
I bet it is a delight to turn a pages of a book like that. On the other hand I wonder something very simple. Are we able to put such a feeling into an ebook?
I'll start the answer to that using another question: What is that thing that makes an art book?

If you read the article you understand some of the aspects:
- Special support (art-quality paper and a kitchen-proof plastic-coated manual)
- Very good design (most cookbooks are very good at that)
- True workmanship (50 people participate to this project for as long as 5 years)

I think I've already answered the main question.
I'm not worried about the support. You just have to think about a case enhancement for one of the leading slates on the market. Take an iPad for example, put it in a nice leather cover and here you have the support. Shiny, and very luxurious.
What about the rest? Well the rest is the same old story. Designing an ebook is like doing the same thing for a good book. You just have more freedom to use not only good typography and nice images and lots of free space but also new media and smart features to surprise the reader.
Depending on the features you want you can create an entire app to serve as a book or if you want to have it cross platform create it as a PDF using all the clever things the format provides.
Actually if you sell the device with the book already loaded you might find that the production costs are lower than the paper version.
Here we are again with the same old question: Why nobody tries to create good looking ebooks? Or may be I don't know about them? Please be so kind and give me a sign if you know about any.

No comments: